Female dress codes - reinforcing rape culture



My most recent email of complaint to a catholic school (and so it goes on…and on…and on):




Dear Father XXXX,

I would like to express my concern about a conversation Mr XXXX had with year 11 XXXX boys last week regarding what he believed to be appropriate dress code for the female partners of boys attending the upcoming semi-formal.

The boys were instructed that should their date be dressed inappropriately, then she would be asked to wear the college shirt for the night.

I would like to understand Mr XXXX’s definition of “inappropriate.”

I have grave concerns with what seems to be an obsession, almost exclusively reserved for Catholic schools, with the dress code of women attending semi-formals and formals.  This obsession does not seem to be based on previous experience of women attending these events “inappropriately” attired, yet this same talk is given to both boys and girls in year 11 and 12 year after year.  I have never heard of an instance where the same scrutiny is given to male attire.

With the number of sexual assaults and violence against women increasing each year (https://www3.aifs.gov.au/acssa/statistics.html), I would think that a culture that encourages men to view women in a negative way depending on their clothing choice is not one that should be encouraged at XXXX.

I doubt any parent would like to hear that their daughter was shamed at the XXXX semi-formal.

Regards,
Doris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pull my balls - Part 2

Middle-age men and their missing molars

Parachute men